Design team member of Alpha Stamps, lover of ephemera and junk.

Welcome! Grab a cold one, kick off your shoes, and have a look around.

Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Night Witch

It's never too early for Halloween, and who better to announce its imminent arrival than the Night Witch? I was inspired by this cobweb chipboard insert and a lovely deep blue sky scrapbook paper to make (yet another) altered Altoids tin. Plus, I can't get enough of those tiny stars that I used in my "Lucky Stars" shrine last month, so they also play a starring role. (See what I did there?)

I painted the spider web insert to match the background paper. Normally, I would insert it behind the rolled lip of the tin, but on this project, I liked it sitting on top. While I had my colors mixed, I also painted the wooden stand, and then distressed it with some ink to darken it up a bit. The bat is a plastic cupcake pick with the "pick" part cut off. He's attached to the top of the tin with a little Apoxie Sculpt. I used a toothpick and some red paint to give him some glowing eyes.

I altered the witch image a bit: the hat was given a stripey band and a gold star, and outlined slightly with a gold Sharpie to make it stand out from the background. Then, to make the image more dimensional, I cut out the witch's arms and the cat from a second, identical image. I attached her left arm flush at the shoulder, and used a foam glue dot to elevate the cat and her right arm. The cat's eyes are highlighted with a little green paint and a dot of ink for pupils.

Here's a shot of the back. I'm sure you can see why I love that rich blue paper so much! The star medallion on the foot not only ties in with the rest of the gold in the stars above, but makes the stand super sturdy.

Happy haunting! For a list of supplies I used on this project, click here.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the dimensional tip. It's a great idea. Love the kitty.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...