Design team member of Alpha Stamps, lover of ephemera and junk.

Welcome! Grab a cold one, kick off your shoes, and have a look around.

Friday, March 23, 2012

Challenge Swap

I just completed a swap with my friend Lora (cackle) on Craftster. We decided we'd each make each other an altered Altoid tin and an altered matchbook. First, we each sent each other a small box of supplies for use in the projects. Then, we decided on a theme, which was the quote: "It was here that she kept her stories".

Here's what I made for her (thanks to her for supplying the photos; my memory card malfunctioned and deleted the photos I took before I sent):
This is my first rusty tin. To get the finish on it, I sanded it down, and then soaked it in a solution of 2 parts bleach to 1 part vinegar. If you ever do this, do it outside. It's toxic!

The stand is from a set of wooden blocks I found at a thrift store last summer. The bottom opens up and I stuck a secret fortune in there. It's a bit hard to see in the photo, but there's a bird flying in front of the tree. He's escaped from his cage and will soon have stories of his own.

The matchbox has a really beautiful dragonfly button that Lora sent me. It was the inspiration for the rest of the box. There's an old brass bell and some charms hanging from the bottom. Here's the interior:

Here's what Lora sent me. She's so danged talented! The matchbox:
And my absolute favorite, the tin. I can't even express how much I love this, mostly for what she did with one of the clown heads I sent her. Look how amazing it is:
Thanks so much, Lora! It's always a pleasure swapping with you.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Looks like you both were recipients of some super fabulous creations! Such amazing talent! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, neat! Both of you have done amazing work. : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...