Design team member of Alpha Stamps, lover of ephemera and junk.

Welcome! Grab a cold one, kick off your shoes, and have a look around.

Saturday, April 6, 2019

Dum and Dee, the Tweedles

This month at Alpha Stamps, it's all about Alice. My favorite characters from Alice in Wonderland happen to be the Tweedles, both Dum and Dee. Guess who got star billing on the two works I did this month? 

First, I made an altered tin. I removed the lid before covering the outside with polka dotted paper, and the inside with a beautiful background image from a collage sheet. The outside mushrooms are a chipboard insert. I used colored pencils and Copic markers to paint the mushrooms to match the background. I wanted the largest two mushrooms to extend outside the boundaries of the chipboard, so I painted those two tops separately and then attached the new caps. The white spots on them were added with Gesso.

Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum had on outfits that were fairly muted, so I bumped up the color a bit with Copic markers. Now they look more at home in their bright surroundings. I also used a marker on Alice's hair. After all, blondes have more fun! Look at the sweet little hedgehog peaking out from behind the mushroom in front. He was so adorable that I just had to include him.

Butterflies were folded and glued down the center to make them appear as if they just landed on the edges of the tin. I love that big silver teapot; it's the perfect topper! It really made the piece come together. Silver beads made for little feet for the tin, and echoed the silver of the teapot. In the picture below, you can see that the Tweedles are mounted on foam tape for extra dimension. Alice is also mounted on foam tape so it appears she is actually peaking out from that giant 'shroom.
  
Yes, we're all mad here!

In addition to the altered tin, I made a tiny book box, which also features the Tweedles. I used the same polka dot paper on the exterior, and used washi tape to attach the cover to the sides. Washi tape is pretty, but it's not really sticky enough for a project like this, so I used a thin strip of double stick tape under the washi tape to make sure the cover is on securely.

When you open the cover, you find the infamous Queen of Hearts, and a teeny tiny deck of cards.

Remove the cards, and there's Alice, all crammed into too small a space.

Even though they're tiny, that's a full deck of cards. I'm holding them here so you can get a sense of scale:

 Hooray for the Tweedles (and Alice)!
For a complete list of supplies, click here!

4 comments:

  1. Love it! Can you place link to teapot and dotted paper, please? Where can I find the butterflies? I think they would look great in a project I am working on. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gladys, those supplies all came from Alpha Stamps. The butterflies can be found on this collage sheet: http://tinyurl.com/y6zj7sga, and the dotted paper can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/y5f4h8cb

      It looks like that exact teapot is no longer in stock, but there are a few others listed here that might work: http://tinyurl.com/y3cbn7qm (I like the Tiny Celadon Tall Ceramic Teapot)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...