It started out looking like this:
I painted the box black, and then covered the sides with striped scrapbook paper. I then added a border at the top, cut from contrasting paper. Images from a circus collage sheet (also from Alpha Stamps) were cut to fit. I punched out a few orange stars, and then added small seed beads at the tips of all the banners.
The legs were painted and distressed wooden candle cups, and the top finial was made with a wooden egg cup and a large wooden ball, also painted to match. I found the hinge (after much looking!) at Home Depot. Score!
And the sides:
If you haven't yet read "Night Circus", you should definitely add it to your reading list!